Michael Braverman is a partner in the Braverman/Bloom Company, which just completed a merger with industry heavyweight A. Smith & Co. Currently, Michael is the Executive Producer of Conspiracy Theory on truTV, and Bar Rescue.
- Ok… alright. Do you feel that a web series or promo trailer is a way to actually sell a Reality idea? And have you seen any spec Reality trailers worth watching?
- You were a personal talent manager for many many years, so if you were today, what would be your reason for wanting to have your client be ON a Reality show early in their career… or would you?
- You currently produce a show that has a “Host”, a bit of an antagonist and a few sidekicks. What type of compensation is typical for a 2-3 year veteran actor on these shows?
- If you had a friend today, who wanted to become a Manager, what would be the number one thing you would tell him about finding/choosing actors based on the amount of scripted programming that has been eliminated by Reality programming.
- There are many many “types” of Reality programming, but overall where do you thriving for actual actors in the future versus those kind of falling by the wayside?
- Yes Reality programming is considered non-scripted, but in real truth, what percentage of Reality TV, like WWE wrestling, is actually scripted.
- Describe the difference between you having to go in and “Pitch” a Reality programming idea versus maybe what an acting client of yours would face going to “Network” for a Series Regular role on a TV show?
- Do you think being the “HOST” of a Reality show is different than hosting a game show or magazine show… and if so, why?
- Does a Reality program lead/star commonly get paid for “personal appearances?”
- Do you feel that a Reality producer/creator has as much control over their finished product as say a Showrunner does in scripted Network television?
About the Guru
Michael Braverman is a partner in the Braverman/Bloom Company, which just completed a merger with industry heavyweight A. Smith & Co. As the producer of mega-hits Hell’s Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares, A. Smith provides the ideal platform to expand Braverman/Bloom’s production and management business. Currently, Michael is the Executive Producer of Conspiracy Theory on truTV, and Bar Rescue (premiering July, 2011 on Spike). Michael is also a 2007 Emmy Nominee in children’s animation for Bigfoot and Meteor, which aired on Discovery Kids Channel. He co-created, and Executive Produced Armed and Famous on CBS. Braverman/Bloom has long been known for “non-traditional” representation, along with its mainstream actors and writers. The company pioneered the cross-over of athletes into movies and television. Repping such stars as Governor Jesse Ventura, Chris Jericho, and Mick Foley, Braverman/Bloom created successful properties for each. The company believes this sets the template for a seamless blending of management and production.