David Ziff is the Vice-President for on camera commercials at Cunningham, Escott, Slevin & Doherty (C.E.S.D.)
- Why do you love being a commercial agent… aside from the money hello?
- Describe what an actor will experience if they’re ever called in to be interviewed by you and the agency, or by you?”
- CESD is a very large agency you guys have (4) adult on-camera agents..so how do you guys split up the projects or the clients?
- C’mon David honestly, how often do large commercial agencies call and pitch their clients to the casting director?
- In today’s digital world having a lot of photos online is easy, but how many different looks do you really need or use per actor?
- What is the most common reason for both yourself, and the agency, as to why you guys will ever drop a client?”
- In the city of Los Angeles, how many actual casting directors cast about 90% of the commercial jobs?”
- If you take a meeting with an actor and they’re currently represented elsewhere but looking to “make a change” do you care who they’re currently with? If you found out, and knew that agent would you call and inquire about them…or disclose that you met with them. Any of that stuff?”
- How often do you visit a client when they’re shooting a commercial and under what circumstances would you do so?
- What is your attitude, after meeting with a potential new actor, if they tell you that they need to hold off on giving you a decision to being represented by the agency because they have other agent meetings?
About the Guru
David Ziff is the Vice-President for on camera commercials at Cunningham, Escott, Slevin & Doherty, aka: (C.E.S.D.). David is a terrifically charming and fun guy who started as actor in New York, transitioned into the other side of the business as an assistant at the Gersh Agency, before eventually becoming an agent at the prestigious boutique Susan Smith agency. At CESD, he and the 3 other agents handle the 70 commercial casting directors. David considers all levels of actors, but is incredibly selective when choosing prospective clients. He finds potential clients through managers, casting director referrals, and producers. David is a huge fan of The Actors’ Network. CESD Talent Agency is a global talent source for Voice-Over and On-Camera Commercials, Beauty, Models, Celebrity Endorsements, Espanol VO, Promos, Trailers, Radio Imaging & TV Affiliates, Puppeteers, and Narrations, TV, Motion Picture, & Gaming Animation Voices, Dance, and Hosting. CESD also hosts an industry leading Theatrical/Film-TV Department representing many leading performers including some of the top young stars in America. Formerly known as Cunningham-Escott-Dipene, CESD was founded in 1965 in Hollywood by the dynamic legend Bill Cunningham. On January 1, 2005 longtime company executives Ken Slevin and Paul Doherty became partners and Cunningham-Escott-Slevin-Doherty Talent Agency was created. CESD has 35 agents in its two offices. It continues its innovative industry dominance through the multitude of changes brought on by the digital millennium. Its leadership continues the same thoughtful guidance and sterling integrity for its clients and first-rate service for its customers that have come to be industry standards.