The Actors' Network Studio Membership
"I am so grateful to have shared my time with such an amazing group of actors who asked such thoughtful, intelligent questions and whose energy was a joy to receive! How does it get any better than this? (P.S. If you're in L.A. and not a member of The Actors' Network...um...why not?)"
- Amy Jo Berman, VP of Casting, HBO
Join As a Studio Member
Get started moving your career forward by becoming an LA-based member of The Actors' Network. We call this our Studio Membership. To become a Studio member of The Actors' Network you are required to register and attend one FREE Orientation. Making an orientation reservation is very easy.
- All Orientations are 60 minutes in length and start ON TIME.
- If you‚Äôre going to be more than 15 minutes late, you'll need to re-register for another date.
- Click on the link below that says "Orientation Registration."
- The registration process offers the next available dates, please select a date, and complete the form.
- When finished you will receive a confirmation email.
- If you need to cancel your reservation, simply email email@example.com, and let us know.
- You may re-register any time you wish.
- Feel free refer actor friends to register as well, and be sure that they list your name when registering.
- Approximately 24-36 hours before the Orientation, you will receive an email with parking instructions
To view our monthly calendar first feel free to click here.
The Actors' Network is centrally, and conveniently, located in West Hollywood.
Benefits of Studio Membership
Benefits - Career
- Industry Guests
- The Actors' Network is the pioneer of the longest running guest speaker series in the history of entertainment worldwide. We offer you the opportunity to attend between 5-8 industry speakers included in every month of your membership, guaranteed. This is our way of providing the chance for you to commence an association with industry professionals. These are professional Q&A sessions, they are not acting workshops. A few of our speakers range from Shawn Ryan (Exec. Prod./Creator ñ The Shield) to Mark Armstrong (Manager ñ James Gandolfini), and more than 1200 others in our history. Many of our industry guest speakers, such as Joseph Middleton (Sr. VP of Casting ñ Paramount Studios) are exclusive to The Actors' Network and cannot be heard anywhere else.
- Power Groups
- The inception of The Actors' Network on 5/1/91 was a professional meeting we now call, a Power Group. There are currently 9 Power Groups, two of which meet monthly in the Valley, while the other 7 all meet at our West Hollywood studio. These are very high-functioning goal setting / strategy meetings facilitated by a well-trained and successful Lifetime member. Power Groups have both an Annual Theme, as well as a monthly goal to positively move your career forward. Because being an actor has very little entry barrier as well as virtually no perceived consequence for not pursuing your career, having the Power Group structure to keep you on track in Los Angeles is invaluable. Power Groups are an optional portion of membership but if you review the list of testimonials you'll see how so much success is tied to them.
- Topical Discussions
- On a monthly basis Founder/President of The Actors' Network, Kevin E. West, speaks (5) times on various subjects. We have aptly named these subjects, Topical Discussions, due to their content as well as the format. We are ultra-clear not to define these as classes or Kevin as your teacher. Yes, you will learn an immense amount from him by listening, but additionally you have so many experiences and ideas that also can help shape your career from fellow TAN members. We have a total of 60, 5 per month, annually that range from Goals: 5-3-1, Actor Pie, and Actor Plan, to Contracts: New Media to Mailings: Producers/Directors, Phone Technique, Doing Rounds / Drop Offs and Understanding Breakdowns. Because so much of this profession is subjective, knowledge is truly power, and Topical Discussions are the tools.
- Issue Time is an incredibly important conversation at The Actors' Network. It is a professional career imperative for every actor to have the regular opportunity to ask business questions and discuss business scenarios not only amongst their peers but also with the founder himself, Kevin E. West. If you choose to be a part of Power Group when a member of The Actors' Network, you will get a full hour of Issue-Time at every monthly meeting. It addition to that, on a monthly basis, you will find an Issue-Time randomly on our monthly events calendar as a Topical Discussion. The calendar Issue-Time is facilitated by founder Kevin E. West and basically serves as a monthly "free group private consultation" with Kevin as you may ask any career question at the time included in your membership.
- Etips are projects or opportunities that are not available to the general acting public. With more than 600 member, and over 20 years of industry relationships, we consistently receive project information from a myriad of professionals. Additionally, with our extremely pro-active membership and the explosion of new media, our members are constantly seeking talent within The Actors' Network. And finally due to our Internship Program, created back in 1995, we have a lot of representatives who communicate eTips with regards to the type of clients they're currently seeking. If you would like to submit an eTip for to be posted on The Actors' Network website email project details to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send all eTips as pure text, no HTML emails, and include union status, project title, and all character breakdowns.
- Industry Relationships
- The Actors' Network has had more than 1200 industry guest speakers since its inception, and it is from this platform man of our relationships have been formed. The clichÈ, "It's who you know" has been really over used in Hollywood, not because it isn't true but because it is true in all of life...everywhere. It always matters "who you know" whether it is a mechanic, doctor or the person working the door at a club. The Actors' Network has been building and creating extremely strong industry relationships since 5/1/91 and yes...it truly matters. It is easily one of the strongest benefits of TAN because our relationships are diverse and founded on pure integrity since we are not a "Workshop company" our relationships have not built on paying people to like us. A small sample of these can be found in our Endorsements and Honorary Board.
- Lifetime Membership
- A regular member of The Actors' Network achieves Lifetime status by remaining a member for 36 consecutive months, or three years. This aspect of The Actors' Network is once again the brain child of founder Kevin E. West to promote pro-activity over a respectable amount of time. We can all appreciate the concept of "making it big" in a short period of time but The Actors' Network was built and is designed for the career-minded actor to eventually make a living as a performer. It would be a statistical fact that 97% of the actors worldwide who accomplish making a living have been pursuing professional paid work for far longer than three years. Additionally one of the extra benefits of Lifetime membership at The Actors' Network is that your annual dues are 66% less than regular members.
Benefits - Strategy
- Squib Book
- The Squib Book is the most, bar none, unique and special tool for actors ever created in our opinion. It can only truly be appreciated when you're holding the book in your hand at the TAN studio in West Hollywood. One normal weekend back in 1993 TAN founder, Kevin E. West, baffled by the lack of information available in books began compiling every note he had and everything he could remember on every industry person he had encountered to date. It was a long weekend, but he then instituted that concept into The Actors' Network and since that day the entries have been put into the book by studio members. The Squib Book is divided by 5 categories: Physical, Personal Background, Resume, Personality, and one's Experience. It is updated/printed tri-annually, and now has reached more than 650 pages over 16 types of industry players.
- Kevin's BizBlog
- Kevin E. West, the Founder/President of The Actors' Network, has worked in virtually every aspect of entertainment as a professional performer. Most of his credits are in hour drama television, but it also includes 1/2-hour television, soap operas, studio feature films, independent union films, modified agreement films, stand-up comedy, improv/sketch, national commercials, voice-over, motion capture, hosting, industrials and many others. In addition to performing he has produced several large events, dealt with major union negotiators, spoken all across the U.S., and is the co-Author of The Actor's Guide to GETTING THE JOB (2-hr. Audio CD) as well as the creator of ActorBizGuru.com. He is considered the foremost opinion leader regarding the business of show business, in Hollywood. His blog is priceless.
- Guest History
- The Actors' Network is responsible for the longest running entertainment industry speaker series in the history of Hollywood. The Actors' Network has also built a multi-award winning reputation of professionalism since 1991 because the guests of The Actors' Network are not paid. The entire history is categorized online so you can not only see who, but also when and how often they've been a speaker. This is an online history of more than 750 different individuals over the years, and continues to grow every single month. As a member of The Actors' Network this historical list can make it easier for you to initially approach many of our guests and let them know you're now a member of The Actors' Network. This is a savvy business tool and smart marketing play by a studio member.
- Expert Guest Blog
- Over the history of The Actors' Network, many of our members have achieved immense success such as Masi Oka (Heroes), Christopher Gorham (Ugly Betty, Covert), Maggie Grace (Taken, Lost), Amir Talai (Harold and Kumar), Chad Brokaw (Alltel Spokesperson) and many many others. We have a handful of extremely talented Lifetime members in specific areas that also contribute to the TAN Blog. This can be voice-over, one-person shows, hosting, social media and several other areas. These are terrifically talented and insightful actors who have spent years training and learning the business at The Actors' Network and then implementing that knowledge so as to create successful careers in their specific area. Their contributions to our TAN blog are worth their weight in gold, and yet another outstanding benefit.
- Maps n' Studio Lots
- One of the great things in Hollywood is that well established building and certainly studio lots don't exactly move (insert a smile). However, all of the locations are not studio lots and all of the common commercial facilities are not always well known by actors. When you add in the parking and geographical mess that Los Angeles is, even GPS can't help once on a physical lot. Studio members have access ability online to see all of the university, studio lots and other key addresses plus being able to download any existing maps. Studio lots are an intense maze and can be overwhelmingly difficult to navigate. Having an idea where certain buildings are and how to get there is a great edge for a prepared actor! There is nothing worse then having a terrific audition but getting stressed while on the lot, because you can't find the office.
- Private consultations
- Our careers are filled with questions, situations, circumstances and scenarios. While the studio membership of The Actors' Network provides dozens of benefits and opportunities to get career advice, it is possible that you may wish to request some private consultation time with TAN founder, Kevin E. West. With our T.I.P. Program you are able to even get a private for free by cashing in points. However, without TIP points a private is not free, and is not included in studio membership. You can see all of the booking details on the Private Consultation page. Privates may cover any subject matter, can be for 30 or 60 minutes, and you can even get a better deal by booking a series of 3 privates. Additionally remember that Kevin facilitates an open Issue-time monthly as part of your studio membership.
- Demo Reel: Philosophy/Editing
- This may be one of the most confusing business tool and philosophical actor business conversations in your entire career. In light of the digital age and flip cameras the concept of what a Demo Reel is, once was, or can be perceived as is incredibly diverse. Still there are rules, principles and a level of professionalism that is still expected by Hollywood professionals. This has become the quiet killer of actor careers and this activity offered every other month for the studio members of The Actors' Network is absolutely a must attend benefit. From legit credits to student films, feature films, television, self-produced material, music, sound, lights and all other production aspects etc. that they would like viewed and commented on. Technology has made it easy for actors to believe this is an easy element, but it is not.
Benefits - Networking
- Networking Book
- The Networking Book is one of the greatest original business tools created by The Actors' Network for its Studio Membership. The irony today is that it is actually no longer a book, but rather a benefit you access via our website when logged in as a studio member. The Networking Book collects and categorizes 16 different pieces of information provided by our members themselves in the professional background so that their fellow members can identify what current and former experiences they have and what they might know. Imagine the exponential power of being able to cross-reference one's professional history and then have an intelligent conversation with them about it. Some of the categories are: Beware, Current Agents, Former Managers, Current Teachers, Current Theatre Co., Former Agents, Current Managers, Former Teachers and many more!
- TypeMe Sessions
- In 1993 Kevin E. West, founder of The Actors' Network, created the TypeMe Session. The key element to the session is found in the copyrighted form to TYPE your fellow actor in four areas: Visual, Essence, Stereotypes and Professions. The results are amazing and will assist you in understanding what your real brand as an actor may be. This type of information can cost you hundreds and hundreds of dollars through a few other image orientated services in Los Angeles, but it is included in your membership at The Actors' Network. It is offered every other month on The Actors' Network monthly calendar, categorized as an activity and runs a full three hours in length. We tend to urge our members to attend at least three TypeMe Sessions slightly altering their appearance each time to get a results that can be of value for years to come in terms of your headshots.
- Pursuing an acting career is very difficult in Los Angeles, but one of the real factors in tackling the city, is simply living in it. There are a number of aspects of life that actors can network and assist one another with and as a member you have a wonderful support tool in our online bulletin board for NON-actor related information. As a studio member you may post an eBulletin via our website. Ebulletins can be, but not limited to: For sale, roommate search, Non-actor services (mechanic, plumber etc), wanted, for rent and many other options. Do understand that only active studio members may post, but the online membership does grant you access to view the eBulletins in the event that one of our online members lives in the LA area and can utilize something being offered by a studio member. The eBulletin portion of our site is not meant for the general public.
- TAN Studio
- This is one of the glaring benefits that separates The Actors' Network in its philosophy and success for its members. We realize that all actors feel they network with their friends and talk to one another, but in the digital age, it A huge benefit to L.A. Based members is our studio. Social media is a wonderful tool that can be used in many ways but the human networking that occurs within The Actors' Network studio is undeniable in its value. Members are constantly meeting new people, engaging in pro-active conversations, and gaining much needed insight and information that would never occur via social media when you don't know someone well. Often the business activity needed to pursue your career is difficult to get motivated to do at your dwelling, but with our wireless access, free computers and West Hollywood studio finding your motivation is much easier.
- TAN Members
- Our studio membership fluctuates between 600-675 members throughout the general Hollywood area. With the organizational philosophy, Help Us, Help You, Help All of Us, you're constantly surround by fellow actors with a helpful sharing attitude. In addition to the general philosophy you're also able to benefit from the more than 300 Lifetime and Grandfathered members. Commonly these are the members who are working and have made successful inroads in the Hollywood community as professionals. When you combine incremental success, with a professional mentality and vast amounts of knowledge and experience to share. In the final conclusion The Actors' Network is an amazing organization with one of the most intangible yet powerful benefits in the world, people. The people that make up this organization make it what it is and what it can be for you.
- Member Photos
- Each member of The Actors' Network has a profile, and a picture and resume in that profile. The photos can be viewed by the world, but the detail information of our members can only be accessed by the Industry Friends of The Actors' Network who have been granted a User name and Password by the founder, Kevin E. West. There are more than 700 legitimate industry professionals who may access our members. As a studio member you don't need multiple photos online as we have 20+ years of professional relationships. Studio members can send their photo page link to any one of the professionals found in our guest history as they're friends of the organization. This is the type of networking, using the internet to your advantage and our relationships to your advantage, that can increase the number of contacts you have with a small amount of effort.
- TAN Parties & Events
- Since 1992, The Actors' Network annually hosts a very well attended Holiday Party. The parties are now infamous throughout the community for being both entertaining and attended by tremendous Hollywood professionals. The ticket to the holiday party is an ancillary benefit of membership, and not included in the base membership, but it is not to be missed. Typically there are 400-500 people in attendance with a nice mix of members, member guests and industry professionals from casting, agencies, managers, directors, writers and producers. It is a wonderful vehicle for us to thank all our guests who donate their time to speak at TAN. Additionally during the Spring each year The Actors' Network also hosts the Hack n' Smack, Kerry Daveline, Celebrity Golf Tournament at the El Caballero Country Club, with 100% of the net proceeds going to Melanoma research.
Benefits - Databases
- The Actors' Network agent database contains both ATA and SAG franchised agencies. We update our database on a weekly basis and with our tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members represented throughout the city our database is a most helpful periodical tool for actor business. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- Casting Directors
- The casting community is constantly changing addresses as well as who is casting with whom or on what project. We update our database on a weekly basis and with our tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members pro-actively pursuing their careers throughout the city our database is a most helpful periodical tool for actor business. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- TV Show Assignments
- The television aspect of our profession is vast and has exploded with the number of original programming coming out of cable since the turn of the century. Our TV Show Assignments are designed to assist our members with a cross referenced form of periodical information that also includes Pilots which becomes a tremendous business tool in the pursuit of your career. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- The Actors' Network manager database contains both TMA and COPM managers as well as those with no particular affiliation. In the personal management aspect of this profession there is no affiliation requirement. However, all personal managers, to be considered legitimate, must have at least a city business license. We update our database on a weekly basis and with our tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members represented throughout the city our database is a most helpful periodical tool for actor business. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- There has never been a printed periodical publication for sale in Los Angeles to assist actors with the Theatre listing. While it seems almost unbelievable, it is true, and while Back Stage West does print a Theatre section towards the end of each calendar year it still falls short. With many of our members pro-actively pursuing L.A. theatre on different levels including performing, producing, writing, performing, and in theatre companies we are able to provide the most complete listing of LA theatres found anywhere. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- Our production database includes a great number of entities such as studios, producers, directors, writers, filmmakers, studio lots, publicists and more. Again this is a vast vast industry and there are always going to be hundreds and hundreds of individuals who are creating or working on something that simply cannot be found or noted in a periodical database but with our tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members represented throughout the city our database is a most helpful periodical tool for actor business. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- Background Casting
- Background casting companies then to be either one of the two or three really large entities such as Central Casting or are more commonly a one person operation like Bill Dance casting. We do provide the current rates available for union background work. Studio members of The Actors' Network are able to get more information on the pro's n' con's of choosing to do background work as well as information about the SAG voucher system. We update our database regularly and with our tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members represented throughout the city our database is a most helpful periodical tool for actor business. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- Film Festivals
- The film festival numbers have probably grown about 50 times what it was before the turn of the century. There are probably at least 15 more festivals in Los Angeles alone that have evolved since 2000. We update our database regularly and with our tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members represented throughout the city our database is a most helpful periodical tool for actor business. We are huge advocates for film festivals and you will commonly find members of The Actors' Network volunteering at festivals all over the country including the LA Film Festival, Sundance, Dances with Films, Holly Shorts and the AFI International film festival. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- Our teachers/classes database is the largest for Los Angeles based teachers you will find. While The Actors' Network is not, nor can it be, in the business of recommending particulars services for actors with our online Networking Book, Discount Program, tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members represented throughout the city our database is an incredible actor business tool. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- Our photographers database is the largest for Los Angeles based photographers you will find. While The Actors' Network is not, nor can it be, in the business of recommending particulars services for actors with our online Networking Book, Discount Program, tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members represented throughout the city our database is an incredible actor business tool. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- Our services database is the largest for Los Angeles based actor services you will find and contains dozens of types of services. While The Actors' Network is not, nor can it be, in the business of recommending particulars services for actors with our online Networking Book, Discount Program, tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members represented throughout the city our database is an incredible actor business tool. Additionally all of our databases provide our studio and online members to print 1X3 mailing address labels either as the entire database or with our custom choice option.
- The number of events that have legitimate standing in the Hollywood community is just too numerous to count. Our events database is not attempting to show you the obvious events like the Oscars and the Emmy's but rather some of the lesser known events that perhaps one of our members or industry friends are associated with or perhaps responsible for creating. With our tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members active throughout the city our events database is a most helpful networking tool for actor business.
- The number of organizations that have legitimate standing in the Hollywood community is always changing. How one defines what an organization is in Hollywood we're certain could lead to some pretty good debates but with our years of experience we have a very strong understanding as to who they are and should be in terms of an actors career. Once again with our tremendous history, relationship depth, personal relationships coupled with hundreds of members active throughout the city our organizations database is a most helpful networking tool for actor business and insight.
- The number of Universities that exist throughout the US do have a value to the Los Angeles actor as well as many within Southern California that a transplanted actor may not be aware of as a potential source for student films and professional options. Because education at a higher level is always of value we offer this database as a way for actors who may be looking for a Masters program, alumni associations related to Hollywood or any number of other reasons the outlet of University information would be of value to your career as a most helpful networking tool for your actor business.
Benefits - Outreach
- Internship Program
- In 1995 The Actors' Network pioneered the first Internship Program in the history of Hollywood for actors. More than 100 companies and individuals have sought out interns through The Actors' Network since the inception of the program. This professional association creates a wonderful mutual benefit for both members of The Actors' Network as well as the casting, production or representation office engaging the Internship Program. Being an intern at a legitimate professional office as an actor is a valuable tool. The ability to get hands on experience inside a real professional office in Hollywood is amazingly invaluable. With both perspective and knowledge from being inside the offices within Hollywood as an intern provides The Actors' Network member with an unrivaled leg up as well as a direct new professional relationship.
- Honorary Board
- The Actors' Network Honorary Board serves as a tangible reminder of the industry respect the organization has earned. Since we are not a 501C3 entity the board is an honorary board, but this list of professionals was formed so that the organization had an active and diversified set of industry professionals as consultants to The Actors' Network. The board seats change from time to time as some professionals choose to leave the industry and/or we choose to add a newer person who has risen up in the ranks of Hollywood and who has become a large supporter of The Actors' Network. With individuals like Mark Armstrong (reps Rooney Mara), Abby Girvin (owner, DDO Agency) and Joseph Middleton (VP of Talent ñ Paramount Studios) we, as an organization, are always headed in the right direction.
- Discount Program
- In 1995 The Actors' Network pioneered the first city-wide retail Discount Program in the history of Hollywood for actors. We have hundreds of Discount Clients throughout the Los Angeles area both directly related to common actor services such as photographers and classes as well as non-acting related vendors you may need to patronize in your day to day life living in Los Angeles. Even members of The Actors' Network may themselves offer a discount to their fellow members for some type of business or service that can be of service. Saving money when pursuing a career is terribly important and we're proud to be the leading provider of discounts to actors, as an organization, in entertainment. Discount clients are listed on our website and members must show their current membership card to receive their discount.
- Special Speakers
- Annually The Actors' Network is committed to identifying certain professional subjects that are both uniquely important in our lives and careers and are best presented by individuals who are true experts. Some of these special speaking presentations have varied from Union Town Hall election panels, V/O Demos ñ Auditions, Actor Taxes, and Organizing: Home/Office, to One person show: Develop/Produce, Website creation, Hosting: Ear/Tele-prompt, and Script Coverage. There are so many elements and options to a performers career that having as much specific knowledge about those diversified areas is absolutely imperative. Active members of The Actors' Network pursue their career with a distinct advantage over other actors due to the presentations presented annually by special speakers.
- T.I.P. Program
- "Help us, help you, help all of us." This has been our credo since 5/1/91 and borne out of the simple philosophy that the intelligent sharing of knowledge and information makes one's success exponentially more likely. The belief that Hollywood is an individual competition is flat out inaccurate. When an actor shares specific project or audition information that is not readily available to the general actor public with another member, TAN will award the giving member TIP points. These TIP points can be accrued and used to CASH-IN for membership benefits. Some of the T.I.P. Chart benefits are, but not limited to: free months added to your membership accounts, a free private consultation with Kevin E. West and much much more! This program also assists TAN by advocating that members refer industry guest speakers.
- Your professional successes and forward movement should be made available to as many people who can further your career as possible at any time. In addition to that logical philosophy the power of the internet and search engines members of The Actors' Network are regularly increasing their visibility by posting their representation and booking victories. Because our website offers constant access to those victories your Google score, for example, will continue to rise and with that the ability to be found by anyone in the industry who may need your type. Actors everywhere, but especially in Hollywood, are always looking to increase their legitimate actor activity and when those professional movements are achieved our victories offer an additional avenue, beyond your own website, to advertise them.
- Guest Referrals
- It is fair to say that there are probably between 500 and 1000 individuals within the professional Hollywood community that could be of service to you and your career advancement at any given time. These individuals range from agents, casting directors, managers, executives, directors, producers, writers and many others. Who is friendly with who or knows whom at any given moment is impossible to track, and therefore we offer our members TIP points for being actively involved with referring industry guest speakers to The Actors' Network. This helps us keep a constant fresh flow of speakers for our monthly calendar, but it also means that we are consistently increasing the number of our Industry Friends. Guest referrals have grown into a crucial and invaluable element of membership advancement.
|The Actors' Network has done nothing short of changing my life.||AN Organization|
|Joining The Actors' Network is the single most important decision I've made in my career since moving to Los Angeles. The benefits have been exponential. I've met industry people who have hired me, learned more ways to be proactive in my career, reaped the benefits of Kevin's straightforward wisdom, and even made many lifelong friends. The Actors' Network has done nothing short of changing my life.|
|An amazing resource for actors at any level||AN Organization|
|As a lifetime member of the The Actor's Network I have found it to be an amazing resource for actors at any level in our industry. Nowhere else have I encountered such a comprehensive low down on the real business of the business, the support of fellow actors to encourage and inspire you to pursue your dreams, the opportunity to network with an outstanding array of industry professionals, invaluable tips on everything from photos and demo reels, to websites and agents and much, much more. Every professional MUST have a support group, a place to get in the know, make and nurture the relationships that are at the heart of an industry like ours, and to just help keep on track. The Actor's Network and Kevin West have helped me do just that. Thank you so much!|
|Foundation to comprehend the task of surviving in this industry||AN Organization|
|Hollywood is a complicated and unusual business. The Actor's Network gives the serious actor a foundation to comprehend the task of surviving in this industry. Kevin accents that foundation by sharing his "in the trenches" experiences and his years of expertise of a successful Hollywood career.|
|Now I have a winning approach||AN Organization|
|"TAN helped me reframe my thinking on acting as a business. Success always starts with approach, and now I have a winning approach because of the lessons learned at TAN."|
|I love being being a part of a group who makes it happen!"||AN Organization|
|"The entertainment business can be tough and very confusing in LA. I was tossed around so much until I found Kevin and the Actor's Network to set me straight! Its so great and inspiring to hear from people currently in the business the things that can actually help my career instead of hinder it. The Actor's Network looks at the industry as the glass half full, you just have to find your glass. I feel much more grounded in understanding what it takes to make it in this industry. The industry guests really lay it out for me, so I know what they expect and I learn from the topical discussions how to rise to those expectations and surpass them. I love being being a part of a group who makes it happen!" |
|Save THREE years of footwork ... join TAN!||AN Organization|
|10 years after I joined, I still use the info I learned from the topical discussions about target lists and mailings. I also remember the support I got in the Power Groups which helped me to achieve career goals. I tell every actor new to LA to do themselves a favor and join The Actors' Network. I also tell my young adult acting students who know the craft but don't understand the business to join. Simply put, I tell everyone that they can save THREE years of footwork trying to navigate Hollywood on their own by simply joining The Actors' Network.|
|Solidify the business aspect of your acting career||Kevin E. West|
|"Kevin E. West’s topical discussions on goal setting, research, and marketing inspire me to take a more proactive approach towards my acting career. Every class painstakingly reminds me to stay focused because of the low odds of becoming a consistently working actor. The guest speakers that include agents, managers, producers, casting directors, and directors also provide valuable insight into the entertainment industry. The Actors Network teaches you how to solidify the business aspect of your acting career."|
|If you spend your money on one thing as an actor, spend it on TAN.||AN Organization|
|Hands down, The Actors' Network is the single greatest source of information for actors in the city. I tell everyone that if I were King I would make every person join TAN for at least 6 months. Every success I've had in this city can in one way or another be tied back to The Actors' Network. Kevin is incredibly intelligent, the other actors are all stellar, the industry guests are wonderful, and Power Groups keep my career going. If you spend your money on one thing as an actor, spend it on TAN.|
|Just to let you know...||AN Philosophy|
|And i know you have gone through it before, so you know 1st hand, but long story short, i was thinking of you and TAN as i am sitting in my dressing room, for the pilot that i tested for, didnt get, was given guest star role, written out, was asked to be a featured extra, was kept out, then rushed back as that guest star, and then given a series regular contract for this role... untitled martin lawrence pilot for cbs. So this is officially my first series regular role, and just like i sent you a note from my trailer of my first studio feature, i really am not sure if i would be here without you, the people i have met at TAN, and everything i have learned in my time there. Sooooo extremely grateful, and i just wanted to say thanks again. Cant wait to tell you all about it in person. Your younger angrier you, kurt|
|Being part of a Power Group has completely changed my career||Power Group|
|...Joining TAN and being part of a Power Group has completely changed my career and the way I approach my career. When I go to auditions, classes, or networking parties, it's inevitable that I run into a fellow TAN member and I love being part of a community of motivated and like-minded people. I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for how much you and the network have positively impacted my life.|
|TAN Techniques led to booking||AN Philosophy|
|Did a targeted mailing to Gwen Hillier and she booked me on work this week for "General Hospital".|
|Because of TAN and it's power group meetings I focused and contacted cd's that I wanted to work with. And with tenacity I got an audition and booked a co-star on Criminal Minds|
|About 8 months ago you sent out an e-blast (which I clearly always read) that included a blurb about Andrea Quinn's Accomplishment Group for Women. I was so frustrated with my career that I decided this wacky life coaching stuff might be worth a shot. I joined the group and am now in my 7th month (out of a total of 9). I can't tell you how much it has helped me both personally AND professionally! Since January I have booked SIX jobs: the lead in an indy short, a great supporting role in an indy feature, a recurring role in a series of viral videos for DumbDumb Prod (Justin Bateman and Will Arnett's company), an episode of LAW & ORDER: LOS ANGELES, an episode of CRIMINAL MINDS, and on Friday I was pinned for a role in a pilot for ABC that would recur if the show gets picked up!!!! I can't thank you enough for indirectly introducing me to Andrea and her group. You have such a gift for being a conduit of knowledge and I am so grateful to have received that particular e-blast on that particular day. Just wanted to let you know how much you've helped me. I hope all is well and wonderful in your world. Thanks again!!!|
|Attacking Commercials Success!||AN Philosophy|
|Wissam Saliba and I followed Kevin's advice and physically went to the commercial casting facilities. Day 1 were the facilities located in the valley. At On Your Mark Studios I noticed an audition going on for Just Dance 2 (the Wii Game) and thought I fit the type that was there - young urban girl. I waited around to get more information, asked another auditioner about the project details, and then went and talked to the session runner. I said exactly what Kevin told me to say, and the only question he asked was who's your agent. I answered and he said yes! He was super relaxed. Then I went in and danced --very cool experience! 1 win for Attacking Commercials!|
|Big THANK YOU and looking forward to another many years ahead!||AN Organization|
|I almost forgot, but today is my 5th anniversary since arriving in LA. Reflecting back on the past 5 years, friends, audition frequencies, and relationships have come and gone, but TAN has always been a consistent entity in my life.|
I still remember... i believe it was the third week of November 2005, right after I signed up, that Kevin greeted me by name and that meant A LOT to me; I can't express it in words.
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU and looking forward to another many years ahead!
|Meeting and Phone Call because of TAN||AN Organization|
|This week on Wednesday, I got a meeting with a manager because he saw me in the Directory that TAN sent out to various Industry players.|
Also, last night, I got a personal phone call from a producer who finally check out my demo reel because of a post card I sent him. I sent the postcard because I went to Kevin E. West's topical discussing mailings!
Thank you TAN!
|Thank you to TAN!||AN Organization|
|I just wanted to send a thank you...because the Actor’s Network is such a freaking great place in my actor life, that I am not sure where I would be without it!|
|Appreciation for TAN||AN Organization|
|I was just talking to a fellow member about how much we appreciate The Actor's Network... we'd be lost without it. I know TAN may hear this all the time, but thank you so much for everything TAN stands for and for being the most important organization an actor in LA could ever dream of.|
|Rainy Day Drop-Offs work||Kevin E. West|
|“I just wanted to let you know that your advice to do a rainy day drop-offs worked out really well for me! I took you up on the challenge, and started with casting offices in my neighborhood but ran out so decided to hit up a few agents/managers instead. Out of 5 drops to agents and managers, I ended up with 2 meetings and I signed with one of the theatrical agents that week.! Thanks Kevin!”|
|TAN is one of my favorite things I've gotten involved in while in L. A.||AN Relationship|
|“...I truly appreciate everything I've learned from Kevin and Paulo. I also value all the relationships I've gotten through TAN, whether from the "player" guests, or from fellow member actors. It's one of my favorite things I've gotten involved in while in L. A. ...”|
|The success of your vision has shortened the steps on the actors road to success||AN Organization|
|Congratulations on all you've achieved with TAN. The success of your vision has shortened the steps on the actors road to success. Your hard work and charisma also brings to TAN the people and resources that most of us would never encounter on our own. I have and will continue to introduce TAN to everyone who has the talent, drive and desire to be a successful actor. Sincere thanks, Summer Walters|
|TAN provides easy transition for NYC actor||AN Relationship|
|“...wanted to thank you again for the last 9 months of TAN. TAN has not only helped my transition from NYC and surrounded me with some excellent people, it's also taught me how to run the business of me.”|
|Guest Speaker leads to audition||Guest Speaker|
|“I went to TAN to listen to Joseph Middleton. He was casting for a film, Fairgame, at the time. I asked my manager to submit me. Joseph's office sent me sides and a script to Fairgame. Since he's casting in NYC, I offered to work as a local hire and taped my audition to send to him. I'm so grateful to TAN and my opportunity to audition for Joseph.”|
|Guest Speaker gives member perfect commercial rep!||Guest Speaker|
|Thanks so much for bringing in Laura SooHoo (Reign Agency) to TAN. She's awesome. Met with her today and after many tries have finally found the perfect commercial rep. TAN ROCKS.|
|Exceptional guest, sets a new standard||Guest Speaker|
|“Just wanted to let you know that I think Jody was an exceptional guest...she sets a new standard. She was so giving, didn't hold back and extended the session to answer as many questions as possible. She really gave us a lot of good information and...there was such an energy in the room and an excitement...many of us were actually talking at length afterward on our way to our cars. Definitely bring her back. All the best always!”|
|Actor grateful for Topical Discussions||Topical Discussion|
|“Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your topical today. I don't say it enough but I truly admire and am grateful for what all you do...this is an extremely tough business and it is a godsend that you are here to help other actors. Best to you always.”|
|TAN is the great Biz Organizer!||AN Organization|
|“...I was a determined but disorganized stumbling actor and I was introduced to The Actors' Network. This organization has absolutely morphed how I operate as a professional, and this month my persistant patience really came to fruition. I booked my first commercial, (Dominos) and I booked my first co-star role on The Eleventh Hour, finally becoming SAG. The blossoming of me working professionally really started 7 months ago when I met Orion Barnes from Rogers Orion Talent Agency at The Actors’ Network. I followed up with him and 2 weeks after he spoke at TAN he was my first theatrical agent. This year has been amazing for me and I believe the business skills I have developed from your organization have been the catalyst to me working in this town, so thank you. Thank you for sacrificing so much to create The Actors' Network. I just wanted you to know how much it means to me.” |
|TAN provides solid foundation for actors||AN Organization|
|“... I tell EVERYONE I meet in this business... what a wonderful blessing TAN was to me when I first got here. Some of my closest friends here in L.A. are folks I met at TAN and Power Group. What you've done is so incredibly awesome, and really, THANK YOU!! Thank you for your vision...so grateful to you, and I'm proud to be a 'Lifer.'|
|TAN gives actor jump start on career||AN Organization|
|“...I wanted to thank all of you for creating such a fabulous organization. Getting started here in LA would have been so much harder without you all. I moved to LA with a few goals - all that have been met.|
I am a mainstage member of the Groundlings. I have a commercial and theaterical agent. I audition lots. I'm booking commercials and a theaterical job here and there. Life is good and I can't wait to see what comes next.
I'm grateful to Actors Network for giving me a jump start.”
|Valuable information gained from Industry Guest Speaker||Guest Speaker|
|Bob Del Valle was an awesome guest! His depth of experience allowed him to give a lot of really great information about the behind-the-scenes work that goes on in TV shows, and he had some great tips for actors on improving their knowledge base. Plus his handout with information about what to do on the set was invaluable.|
|Kevin’s advice keeps actors on track||Kevin E. West|
|“... thank you for keeping it real, telling it like it is, and bridging the gap between what is offered at TAN and the applicaiton of it, that's where the real gold is. Since my last private with you, I have booked a National Commerical...have had several meetings with a manager...thank you...”|
|TAN results in industry relationships||AN Organization|
|“Congratulations on your 17th anniversary with the Actors' Network! I appreciate your ongoing efforts on a daily basis. Thanks to the Actors' Network and the credibility that accompanies responsible membership, I have been able to develop many relationships with industry professionals who might otherwise have remained inaccessible to me. This is a privilege for which I am very grateful and never take for granted. Thanks to your willingness to share your industry relationships with the membership, I have now made meaningful contact with a number of great agents...” |
With sincere thanks,
|Kevin E. West Knows What He's Talking About: Just Do It Already||Private Consultation|
|Kevin E. West knows what he is talking about - the real question is - are you going to do it? My private consultation mixed with all the resources from my TAN membership proved to be invaluable tool and investment for my career. Kevin is funny, concise, tells it like it is, and gives you the information, advise, and encouragement whatever your goals are. The thing that sets Kevin and TAN apart - is a philosophy and mindset. I secured commercial representation and have used this time during the strike to be some of the most productive and proactive times of my career in Los Angeles. Don’t listen to the hype - listen to a real professional and take charge of your career.|
Missy Hairston - TAN Member
|Tax recommendation||AN Member|
|If you want your taxes done professionally, look no further than lifetime TAN member David O'Shea. He has done my taxes for the past six years and his rates are very reasonable. Plus, he gives a discount to TAN members. He books up quickly so don't wait too long!|
|TAN offers the support actors need!||TAN Reputation|
|I for one have had a great time here, whether it's been finding things that help with my work, or finding people who are on the same level of life as I am.|
I think this is a great organization or I wouldn't have been part of it for these last, few years.
Congratulations Kevin. By the way, you too are a reason I'm here. You're supportive, helpful and inspirational.
|TAN Website||Topical Discussion|
|The upated entire green room is just utterly outstanding. It's so full of good and useful information. Every TAN member should be checking it three times daily, even on the weekends. And especially if they are out of town. It's the most multi-faceted and user friendly bulletin I've ever encountered online. |
If an actor cannot afford to join TAN right away, he/she should at least skip a couple of meals to be an online member because it would be completely worth a growling stomach for a few days. They'd be too busy doing stuff for their careers to eat. eric.
|Christensen books feature thanks to TAN tip||AN Audition|
|I just wanted say thank you because I got a great part in a feature that I learned about from TAN - THE PRINCE, directed by Beni Atoori. We had rehearsals last week and I'm shooting over the next few days. I am having the best time and I never would have known about it if it weren't for your organization.|
Thanks again and I hope to tell you all about it soon!
|TAN provides guidance for actors||AN Relationship|
|I just wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one of you. You have made this year such a joy and have been my trusty navigator during my voyage through the troubled waters of LA. This place is a blessed sanctuary. I feel proud to be among your ranks. Have happy holidays and I'll see you all in the new year.|
|TAN Member mentioned in Backstage West||AN Relationship|
|Just wanted to let you know that I had a small mention in Jean Schiffman's column in Backstage West. It's in the November 30th edition and discusses actors returning to the craft after long periods of time (pg 12). This is a result of responding to the e-bulletin from TAN. Thank you for creating this opportunity for me to get some exposure.|
|The benefits of our years of great relationships coming through at The Actors ' Network...||AN Audition|
|"While I was at The Actors’ Network a phone call came in to the Network from CD friend, Joseph Middleton: "if you know any funny, young, ethnic guys, send them down now to audition for Legally Blonde 2". An hour later, I'd booked my first feature film job, and without an agent! It's these kind of TAN relationships that non-members are missing. |
Lifetime Member, Amir Talai
|Members of The Actors ' Network are pro-active, successful and helpful to each other...||AN Relationship|
|"After producing nationally syndicated specials and working on other independent projects, SUZETTE CRAFT is back in front of the camera. This Actors' Network member recently made her prime time episodic debut on CBS top-rated show, The District, followed up with Jerry Bruckheimer's CSI Miami and Michael Mann's Robbery Homicide Division opposite Tom Sizemore and shot the short film, Woodpeckers. Plus, you can catch her as Co-Host of the award winning PBS Series Mastering the College Experience and on television commercials. She just booked on WB's Angel." ----Suzette Craft|
|TAN Guest Speaker leads to new representation||Guest Speaker|
|To recap the story I told you a while back, I came in to see casting director Barbara Divisek. At one point she was talking about how agents submit their clients to her. I asked how non-represented actors got to see her, and she said they generally didn't. After the session, she asked me if I was completely unrepresented. I said I had commercial representation, but not theatrical. She gave me Eileen O'Farrell's phone number and said she could probably use me.|
I called Eileen two days later. Barbara had already talked to her. We met shortly thereafter, and we are now working together on a trial basis.
Nobody said it could be that easy! Thank you, TAN!
|TAN odd-sized mailers get actors noticed||Topical Discussion|
|The very first week I sent a buckslip to Bialy/Thomas for "The Unit" resulted in a call to read for a nice co-star (couple of scenes). As I walked into the room, having never met Sharon B., she held up the buckslip and said to me, "see sending postcards works..." The buckslip had said, "check out my 60 second demo online." and sure enough, she went to my site, watched the demo and called.|
Besides doing a good, clean thoughtful read, we had a nice chat about theater and directing, and that I went to college with her ex-husband -- 100% positive meeting.
|Guest Speakers one of most beneficial aspects of TAN||Guest Speaker|
|I have always felt that access to industry guests was one of the most beneficial aspects of TAN membership. TAN provides a wonderful forum for actors and other players in the business to interact in a professional and mutually beneficial manner. After attending such an event with Hugh Leon many years ago, I pursued and developed a relationship that has benefited me to this day. Had I not attended that seminar, I would never have known what a terrific guy he is. You just can't get that kind of interaction from an industry listing book! |
|Every Actor Should Be Required to Attend Topical Discussions||Topical Discussion|
|EVERY SINGLE ACTOR WHO MOVES TO HOLLYWOOD SHOULD BE FORCED TO TAKE ANY AND ALL OF THESE!!! These have opened my eyes to aspects of this business both sobering and inspiring. They give the actor back a power that he/she may have given away by being told "how hard this business is." It takes the SH*T out of BULLSH*T and leaves one with the desire to take the BULL by the horns. Practical, managable and possible- actions and approach to step by step reaching for your dream.|
|A goldmine of information!||AN Binder|
|A goldmine of information! Any idea I ever had about approaching organization as an LA actor and more has been taken to the one thousandth degree. The studio maps, the breakdown of the town saves immeasurable time and effort. Worth the price of admission alone.|
|He’s a dynamo of information||Kevin E. West|
|I don't want to boost his ego any more than needed, BUT the guy is a dynamo of information and sobering inspiration. He awakens your focus and can-do attitude.|
|Power Group Encourages Internships||Power Group|
|Upon starting my my power group, I heard about people doing internships. So I started doing them myself, and they have led to representation, firm close relationships, and auditions. Granted, knowing that you are not attempting to gain representation or a job from interning, it just seems to happen regardless. Without TAN Power Group, I feel that I would have never thought of my most useful marking tool, interning, PERIOD!! Or at least it would have taken me a lot longer than I would have wanted it to.|
|TAN gives member tools for career advancement||TAN Reputation|
|If a successful career in Hollywood is comparable to climbing Mount Everest, then the Actors' Network is a reliable base camp with the tools and resources necessary for the ascent. |
Thank you also for making it your mission to provide a blueprint which actors can use to build whatever kind of career they desire. There is not a day that goes by when I am actively pursuing my career that I don't do a Kevin E. check in. By saying that I mean that I often consider how you would respond in a given situation and I factor that in to my final decision. In particular, I have learned that "no" is an acceptable response in Hollywood and that no one player will make or break my career.
|Job obtained through Etip!||ETips|
|I booked a commercial for RC Willey by submitting to a listing on an |
etip. The casting director is a lifer TAN member, and said she loves to
hire TAN people.
|Guest Speaker leads to work for Porter Kelly||Guest Speaker|
|Industry guest Melissa Martin stopped me after she spoke at TAN and said, "Why haven't I ever seen you in my office?" I sent her a postcard the next day, and the next week I had an commercial audition for her and booked the spot. Melissa calls me in all the time now, and I recently booked another spot with her.|
|PG Challenge pays off||Power Group|
|One month the theme was to get a general with a CD. I set my sights high and through a friend of a friend, I was able to sit down and have a great talk with Mali Finn. This could have happened earlier had I thought of it but it was the "challenge" of Power Group that got it done.|
|TAN E-Tip leads 8 weeks of work!||ETips|
|Anne Von Hermann sent out an e-tip about a Fox show. After 3 auditions and call backs, I booked the role. I was fortunate enough to spend 8 weeks in Maine shooting and being cast in six episodes of a netork TV show.|
|Power Group fan list leads to industry relationships||Power Group|
|There are several things that I've used after learning them at TAN that have been awesome for me and the development of my career. The biggest one is creating a fan list for myself. It has lead me to some awesome contacts and it requires me to regularly think of what I'm doing and how it is affecting my career. I regularly send out an update (once a month) to industry contacts, friends, fellow actors, etc. that announces what I am doing. It has created some wonderful relationships for me and people have already transitioned from thinking of me as just a hypnotherspist to an actor who is also a hypnotherapist. |
|Guest Speaker leads to work on General Hospital||Guest Speaker|
|After seeing Gwen Hillier (CD for General Hospital) speak at the Network, I sent a follow up thank you, along with my headshot. Two months later, they called me in for background work. I earned some money, learned a lot on the set, and a made great contact there which will lead to other employment.|
David A. Cooper
|TAN Internship gives member Theatrical Representation||AN Internship|
|I took on a TAN internship with a theatrical agent, even though I was already represented elsewhere. I thought it would be a great chance to learn that end of the business, without any hidden agenda. As it turns out, my former agent released me. Fortunately, the relationship I had built at the internship led to my being signed at that agency. Within two months, I had booked my first TV co-star --the direct result of a TAN internship.|
David A. Cooper
|Power Group leads to work!||Power Group|
|Through being in Power Group, I've had two breakouts. One is the film lincolnvsbush done with Pat Battistini which can be found on iFilm.com and is now one of the leading comedy shorts of all time on iFilm. |
Two: Lew Dauber, my current PG Buddy has written and produced three different Lincoln Live shows we've done to rave reviews. We're currently working on a short docu revolving around Lincoln and the chaplaincy during the Civil War.
|Knowledge gained through Topical Discussions||Topical Discussion|
|People ask me how I got so motivated and so knowledgeable. Well the drive I came to LA with. The knowledge I got from topical discussions.|
- Amir Talai
|Special Guest Contact leads to new Agent!||Guest Speaker|
|A major commercial agent spoke at TAN and gave her opinions on how to stand out in your submissions. I followed her instructions the very next day, and within a month she was my agent.|
- Amir Talai
|Congratulations to The Actor’s Network on 15 years success||TAN Reputation|
|Congratulations!! You had a vision, and it is still flourishing 15 years later!! No small feat!!|